On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Marco Pessotto wrote:

So, my impression is that for exporting the modal compilation is not an
option.

So far, that has been my impression as well. I need a lot of tweaks to get the right XML output (and I also need (multiple) PDF output). I have set a separate mode for XML export, and use something equivalent to

   context --mode=screen --result=s-filename filename

to get a screen version of the document,

   context --mode=handout --result=h-filename filename

to get a handout version of the document, and

   context --mode=export filename

to get an xml version.

Is there a way to set the paper width to infinity? (Even if,
speaking about impression, I believe the 4 meters are enough for
the average usage).

TeX does finite precision arithematics, so infinity is not possible. But you can set paper width (and paper height) to \maxdimen, which is the maximum dimension TeX can handle.

\definepapersize[max][paperwidth=\maxdimen, paperheight=\maxdimen]
\setuppapersize[max]

Aditya