Hi Paul,

On 2011-11-12 16:19, Paul Menzel wrote:
> A macro `\infofromwikipedia{Donald Knuth}` would be nice which gets the
> first sentence of the article and puts an item into the bibliography.
>
> There is even an API to access articles [2]. Besides coding that up I
> see the following problems.
>
> 1. The output [3] needs to be converted to ConTeXt.
> 2. An Internet connection would be necessary. But that is just a note
> and not a problem.

you could take this as a starting point:
  <https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-acceptor/>
and implement a function that ignores everything but the first
text paragraph. Autodownload should work for the English WP.
(I’m sorry I have no time to do this myself atm.)

Btw. as “Sentence” is not a markup category of wikitext, there is
no sentence recognition built in ... ymmv.

(Beware that processing wiki text from WP is extremely
complicated due to WP’s using special plugins (“templates” and
stuff). So the only way to make sure that a parser accept any
well formed WP page would be to include all those plugins. Which
would entail rewriting the PHP code in Lua for use as a context
script. And then you’d have to decide for every plugin what its
output should look like in Context.[0] If you have the time ...)

Good luck
Philipp

[0] Get an impression on how much work this can be at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_templates
    The more important ones are at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Infobox_templates