On 13.12.2011, at 16:44, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 13.12.2011 um 16:26 schrieb Andreas Harder:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> would someone please enlighten me. What is the correct usage of
>> \definelayout?
>>
>> \definelayout[default][width=middle,height=middle,header=0pt,footer=0pt]
>> % \setuplayout[default] % needed?
>> \definelayout[first]  [default][header=2cm]
>> \definelayout[unknown][default]%[reset]
>> % \definelayout[2]      [default]%[reset]
>> \definelayout[last]   [default][footer=2cm]
>>
>> \starttext  \showframe % \checkcurrentlayout
>> %% Variant A: fails with \default[unknown]
>> first\page unknown=(2)\page \page unknown=(3)\page last
>>
>> %% Variant B: fails with \definelayout[2]
>> % first\page unknown=(2)=last
>> \stoptext
>>
>> By the way the output differs with the latest beta in comparison with the
>> latest experimental.
>
> Hans changed part of the \setuplayout code in the last betas (there are more
> than you can see in the ctx suite).
>
> When context checks the layout (happens with \starttext and when it starts a
> new page) it test for the following defined layouts:
>
> • “<pagenumber>”
> • “-<pagenumber>”
> • “last” (is only used for the last page of the document)
> • “first” (is only used for the first page of the document)
> • “unknown”
> • “current”
> • “odd” and “even” (used for left and right pages)
>
> All entries in this list are reserved names but you can also define your own
> layout but in this case
> you have to enable it with \setuplayout[<name>].
>
> One of the new features in MkIV is that layout parameters can be inherited,
> e.g. when
> you define a layout with the name “one” {\definelayout[one][..,..=..,..]) and
> another one with
> the name two (\definelayout[two][one][..,..=..,..]) this will take the values
> from one of there
> are nothing set for a value from one and when there is also nothing set for
> one the global
> values are used (\setuplayout[..,..=..,..]).

Hi Wolfgang,

I modified the example (hopefully in a meaningful manner). I get the desired
output with the old beta, but it still fails with todays beta.

\setuplayout [width=middle,height=middle,header=0pt,footer=0pt]
\definelayout[first]  [header=2cm]
\definelayout[last]   [footer=2cm]
\definelayout[current]

\starttext  \showframe % \checkcurrentlayout
  % \dorecurse{2}{test\page} % last is wrong
  \dorecurse{5}{test\page} % page 2 and „last“ are wrong
\stoptext

Andreas