Hi Hans,

If this can be of any help for you to localize the origin of the bug with the
latest beta (ConTeXt  ver: 2011.12.18 15:57 MKIV), I would like to report that
when a \framedtext is used by its own, the result is as expected, while when it
follows \startbackground …. \stopbackground, no \framedtext appears (thee rsult
is the same when \framedtext is before textbackground).
The example is:
\starttext

\definetextbackground[test][backgroundcolor=lightgray]

\starttextbackground[test]
\input ward
\input ward
\stoptextbackground