I might add to this report the following observation:

In a document with  \setuppapersize [S8][S8] the shifts appear now and then,
whereas these are typeset normally when the document is place on
\setuppapersize [A4][A4].

It seems that the papersize and placefigure sometimes have a problem with each
other.

Hans van der Meer