On 17 January 2012 18:10, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 17.01.2012 um 15:55 schrieb Felix Ingram:
>

>> I'm now trying to use counters that will tally some values. The value
>> of these could be zero, which the wiki states will be the default
>> value. The following shows that nothing is displayed when the counter
>> is 0.
>>
>> \definenumber[examplecounter]
>> \setnumber[examplecounter]{1}
>> \starttext
>> This is the default value: \getnumber[examplecounter]
>> \incrementnumber[examplecounter]
>> This is the new value: \getnumber[examplecounter]
>> \resetnumber[examplecounter]
>> This is the reset value: \getnumber[examplecounter]
>> \setnumber[examplecounter]{0}
>> This is the set value: \getnumber[examplecounter]
>> \stoptext
>>
>> I can include some conditionals to check this but thought I'd report
>> it in case I'm doing it wrong/the wiki needs updating.
>
> The wiki explains often the behavior for MkII but MkIV does sometimes things
> different
> but when you need only the value of the counter without chapter or section
> prefixes
> you can use \rawnumber which shows also the start value.
>
> BTW: In the next beta the syntax for \setnumber will change, now both
> arguments are
> written in brackets, e.g. \setnumber[mycount][4]

Thanks Wolfgang - \rawnumber works as expected.

I think that my approach is flawed, however. I'm letting users set a
userstructurevariable that I'm tying to counters in order to produce
a(nother) summary table. The problem is that the table is at the start
of the document and so the counters will all be at their initial
value. I'll need to find a way to save the counters over compile runs
or to delay the building of the summary table until after the rest of
the document is done.

Felix