First-page layout is an issue that I have asked about before, but
maybe I am doing something wrong. Here is my question in an earlier
thread:
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20111228.041922.c60f9cd5.en.html
.

I want to define a layout for the first page of my document with
different header and footer formatting -- specifically, no header and
a large footer to hold publication information. Based on examples on
Contextgarden and this list, I think my code below is correct.
However, the first page formatting is continued on all pages of the
document. The effect is the same when using \definelayout[first] and
\definelayout[1].

%%-------------------------------------------------------------------

setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\setupindenting[yes, medium]

\setuplayout
  [width=middle,
  backspace=15mm,
  topspace=10mm,
  height=254mm,
  header=10mm,  % normal header
  headerdistance=5mm,
  footer=5mm,
  footerdistance=5mm,
  grid=yes]

\definelayout
  [first]
  [width=middle,
  backspace=15mm,
  topspace=10mm,
  height=254mm,
  header=0mm,      % no header
  headerdistance=0mm,
  footer=25mm,      % big footer
  footerdistance=5mm,
  grid=yes]

\definecolumnset[body][n=2,balancing=yes]

\setupheadertexts
  [This is a header]
  [pagenumber]
  [pagenumber]