Is it possible to have the following order of actions?

<root>
  <file name="filename1">
  <file name="filename2">
  ..
</root>

The file contains an xml-tree starting at <fileroot>..

At the moment I am processing the files with
\xmlprocessfile{fileroot}{filename}{}, but this generate separate node-lists
for <root> and <fileroot>; at least, that is my understanding of its workings.

Can I change the processing in such a way that something akin the following
tree structure is processed, each time with a new file:

<root>
  <file name="filename1"/>
    <fileroot>
    ..