On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 06:51 +0200, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> > (1) I'd like it such that each time I use \cite, the full citation and
> > not just "(Some One, 1967)" appears in a footnote, rather than inline.
>
> You need to clarify two things here:
>
> 1 You want to map the “\cite” macro to something like
>   “\footcite”?

Either by mapping \cite, or by using some other macro, yes.

> Have you tried something along the lines of this
>
>     \let \goodoldcite \cite
>     \unexpanded\def\cite#1{\footnote{\goodoldcite{#1}}}

Yes, it doesn't work though. All I see are footnotes that contain
"(Xxxxxxxxxx, 0000)". But maybe I am not using it properly. I just use
\cite[reference] and that is what I see.

> 2 You want “\cite” to retrieve full citations? Assuming this
>   requires that they contain the complete names of authors,
>   editors and stuff, you might be out of luck. Last time I
>   checked this was impossible to realize within the constraints
>   of the bib module:
>   http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20100212.073108.f4699471.en.html

Ouch. So basically no footnote citations like in most of the books I
read. You'd think there would just be a \cite[everything] option?

> Hth. Anyways, you’re right, the native Context bib support is not
> really fulfilling.

=(

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer