On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 18:20, Marco <net...@lavabit.com> wrote:
> \definecharacterkerning [narrow] [factor=-.1]
>
> \starttext
>
> \setcharacterkerning [narrow]
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext

This did the trick - and -.1 was just enough to dense the text up but
not into total mess (-.2 was definitely Far Too Much).

> Watch out, this mechanism breaks ligatures.

Doesn't matter in this case, I'm not that good at them when doing this
by hand (involves ink, steel nib and too many splotches). My kerning
still sucks big time in hand calligraphy, ConTeXt does it better.  :-D
Besides, if I ever want to do this really properly, I'll have to
define my own ligatures anyway, they had all kinds of weird
abbreviations which depend on whether you write English, Latin or
Swedish... Won't happen this round, the contents won't be in fully
period style either, just in the "inspired by" range. Maybe for
September.

Thank you, this admirably solved that little problem!

Mari