Deleting the cache worked, thank you! The first run on my book
successfully compiled after 7 mins., subsequent ones now take 15
seconds (which used to be a stable 25 sec before the upgrade).

In ubuntu 12.04 all font packages are renamed to fonts-*, rather than
ttf-* or otf-* etc.

I thought that running mtxrun --script fonts --reload would fix lookup
problems, but it seems that you might want to clear the cache completely.

Still, esp. with the added speed benefit, there is no reason to hold
back the upgrade (from my point of view).

Thanks,
Severin