Thanks for the code -

- actually, I'm not trying to create a "typical book" title page but just a kind of
"cover" page.

But I'll keep your suggestion in mind, I may use it in the future.

Thanks anyway.

Best regards,

Lukas

On Wed, 02 May 2012 15:22:01 +0200, Alan BRASLAU <alan.bras...@cea.fr> wrote:

On Wed, 2 May 2012 14:24:24 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Am 02.05.2012 um 09:45 schrieb Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.:

> how to specify the page background for the first page only and how
> to start page numbering from the second page?

\defineoverlay[Bkg][\doif{\pagenumber}{1}{\externalfigure[cow]}]

\setupbackgrounds[paper][background=Bkg]

\starttext \noheaderandfooterlines
\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth\par}
\stoptext

If you want to create a title page (which may not be your intention),
why not simply

\definemakeup[titlepage][align=middle]
\defineoverlay[COW][\externalfigure[cow]]

\starttext
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=COW]
\starttitlepagemakeup
        A title
\stoptitlepagemakeup
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=]
\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,way=bytext]
\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth\par}

Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:l...@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pon...@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]
Bezová 1658