Hello,

Dick just asked me about a problem he experiences with some documents
that he ships with MacTeX. One of them is Hans' article using MAPS
style. It fails to work with both LuaTeX and pdfTeX. The first one
because of that footnote definition and the second one because of
Charter being the default font, something like:

% type-one.mkii
\starttypescriptcollection[charter]
    \starttypescript [serif] [charter] [ec,texnansi,8r]
        \definefontsynonym [Charter-Roman]
[\typescriptthree-bchr8a]                 [encoding=\typescriptthree]
        \definefontsynonym [Charter-Italic]
[\typescriptthree-bchri8a]                [encoding=\typescriptthree]
        \definefontsynonym [Charter-Bold]
[\typescriptthree-bchb8a]                 [encoding=\typescriptthree]
        \definefontsynonym [Charter-BoldItalic]
[\typescriptthree-bchbi8a]                [encoding=\typescriptthree]
        \definefontsynonym [Charter-Slanted]
[\typescriptthree-bchr8a-slanted-167]     [encoding=\typescriptthree]
        \definefontsynonym
[Charter-BoldSlanted][\typescriptthree-bchb8a-slanted-167]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]
        \definefontsynonym [Charter-Roman-Caps]
[\typescriptthree-bchr8a-capitalized-800] [encoding=\typescriptthree]
        \loadmapfile[\typescriptthree-bitstrea-charter.map]
    \stoptypescript
    \starttypescript [serif] [charter] [name]
        \definefontsynonym [Serif]            [Charter-Roman]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]      [Charter-Italic]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]        [Charter-Bold]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]  [Charter-BoldItalic]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]     [Charter-Slanted]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlanted] [Charter-BoldSlanted]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]        [Charter-Roman-Caps]
    \stoptypescript
\stoptypescriptcollection

% maps style
\starttypescript [map] [texnansi]
\definetypeface[map][rm][serif][charter][default][encoding=\typescripttwo]
\stoptypescript
\usetypescript[map][texnansi]

\setupbodyfont[map]

\starttext
test
\stoptext

Of course no given distribution provides "texnansi-bchb8a" and other
tfm files at the moment, so the sample documents that Dick is
providing are broken. I think it is a very bad idea to ship two broken
documents as "see, here are two documents to show you what you
can(not) do with ConTeXt". And then it breaks the very first moment
when people try to compile it, give up, and never test ConTeXt again.

On one hand we could replace the sample documents (looking for
suggestions), but I think that those Charter definitions should really
be replaced or fixed. What is the best way to do that? I'm not even
sure where they came from except that Hans probably used texfont.pl
one day to prepare tfm files ...

TeX Live contains

bchb8r CharterBT-Bold " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <bchb8a.pfb
bchbi8r CharterBT-BoldItalic " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc
<bchbi8a.pfb
bchbo8r CharterBT-Bold " .167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont
" <8r.enc <bchb8a.pfb
bchr8r CharterBT-Roman " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <bchr8a.pfb
bchri8r CharterBT-Italic " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc <bchri8a.pfb
bchro8r CharterBT-Roman " .167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont
" <8r.enc <bchr8a.pfb

and on my hard drive I have

/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/bitstrea/charter/bchb8a.afm
/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/mathdesign/mdbch/bchb8a.afm

but the font is not even closely covering EC and there are no texnansi
tfm files in TeX Live.

Taco - is the font actually used in MAPS?

Mojca