On 07/26/2012 04:13 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 26-7-2012 05:21, S Barmeier wrote:
You can \setup what you \define|d yourself and \setup what is
pre\define|d, but not \setup something that is not \define|d.

Maybe ;)

it depends .. often it's:

\definexx[whatever]
\definexx[whatever][settings]
\definexx[another][parent]
\definexx[another][parent][settings]

\setupxx[settings]
\setupxx[another][settings]
\setupxx[whatever][settings]

sometimes there are no defines because a feature is generic or global in
nature. often a define generates a command (\whatever, \startwhatever), etc

btw, a redefine does not reset already set parameters (in mkii that is
often the case but not in mkiv)

it all depends on what kind of functionality you're dealing with

Hans

OK, let's deal with a specific use case.

I'm publisher/editor/reporter/photographer/mailer/janitor/coffeemaker for an organizational newsletter. I've done lots of other newsletters before but using DTP programs. I really want to use ConTeXt for this one because the layout is (required to be) absolutely identical from one issue to the next.

Like a traditional newspaper, the front page will contain the masthead, headline and (for this one) a mandatory Privacy Act Notification. I'm virtually certain I can handle the three "special" bits using layers and which will leave the margins and text area the same as the rest of the pages albeit with no header or footer. Hence, by definition, the front page is a makeup page for which the examples on the wiki are a bit, shall we say, sparse.

Without the makeup page, a \setuplayout [settings] works just wonderfully - I have a dummy with which I'm doing testing so I actually tried it. :)

Would I correctly, then, do the following:

% Global layout
\setuplayout
    [settings]

\definelayout
    [frontpage]
    [settings]   % Only those things that are different from the global

\definemakeup
    [frontpage]

% other definitions, fonts yadda, yadda, yadda

\starttext

\startmakeup [frontpage]
% place the layers

% content

\stopmakup

% continue content as required

\stoptext

Sorry for the length of this note but I thought it better to explain the whole thing upfront than in bits and pieces.

Thanks for all the help. I'm really loving ConTeXt but switching after
<mumble> years of using LaTeX and DTP programs is proving a little more of a challenge than I expected. Old dogs *can* learn new tricks but it takes a bit more work. :)

--
Bill Meahan, Westland, Michigan USA

“Writing is a combination of intangible
  creative fantasy and appallingly
  hard work.”

          —Anthony Powell

This message is digitally signed with an X.509 certificate
to prove it is from me and has not been altered since it was sent.