Hi Aditya,

> I wish that the breqn algorithm were described somethere;
> then one could play around implementing it in luatex.

Have you seen the new User's Guide yet? It's from last May, very
recent, so it may not have been there yet when last you looked. It
includes the entire source code, and comments that quite thoroughly:
the ratio works out to 16 lines of comment per 26 lines of code. (A
page is about 42 lines.) And the comments go into the "how", and not
just the "what". Might be useful at some point in the future, if it is
indeed new.

http://ctan.unixbrain.com/macros/latex/contrib/mh/breqn.pdf

--Sietse

P.s. The lack of an index and a table of contents is criminal,
although probably due to this being a beta version (v0.98b) of the
manual. I've extracted the sections and subsection titles, albeit
without the page numbers.

== User's guide ==
1 A bit of history
2 Package loading
3 To do
4 Introduction
5 Principal features
6 Shortcomings of the package
6.1 Incompatibilities
6.2 Indention of delimited fragments
6.3 Math symbol subversion
6.4 Subscripts and superscripts
7 Incomplete
8 Package options
9 Environments and commands
9.1 Environments
9.2 Commands
10 Various environment options
11 The \@exisym package
12 Caution! Warning!
13 Examples

== Implementation ==
14 Introduction
15 Strategy
16 Prelim
17 Package options
18 Required packages
19 Some useful tools
20 Debugging
21 The \listwidth variable
22 Parameters
23 Measuring equation components
24 The dmath and dmath* environments
25 Special processing for end-of-equation
26 Preprocessing the equation body
27 Choosing optimal line breaks
28 Equation layout options
29 Centered Right-Number Equations