Am 02.09.2012 um 17:59 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu>:

> Hi,
>
> On Edward Tufte's website, there is a discussion on zebra coloring in
> tables[1]. One of the suggestion is to add a horizontal rule after every
> third line or shade three lines with one background color and the remaining
> three with another background color.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this with natural TABLEs? I can do something like:
>
> \setupTABLE[row][1,2,3][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
> \setupTABLE[row][7,8,9][background=color, backgroundcolor=gray]
>
> but it requires knowing the number of lines in advance.
>
> Aditya
>
> [1]: http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001IV

Natural tables have “odd” and “even” keywords for \setupTABLE but none in the
way you like it. What I would do is to use a overlay in combination with
metapost to create the background but there is no global register to access the
current column/row of a cell, e.g. \currenttablecolumn (this name is already
used by tables) and \currenttablerow.

Wolfgang