>> When I write a project, product, component or environment file, why
>> would I want the references I made to be dependent on the directory
>> where the script was called? Shouldn't things be like the
>> #include "relative_path.h"
>> used in the C language, for example? That is, shouldn't those paths be
>> relative to the script that refers to them? [...]
>
> The way tex (and its path) are set up is that files are looked up on the
> current path (.) or relative to it, or in the (tds compliant) tex tree.
> Auxiliary files are created in the current directory.

I thought the reason was TeX itself. I just had some hope that ConTeXt
would "fix" this behavior some how. Since ConTeXt allows one to have
products and contents relatively independent from the project itself,
I thought that it would make sense to have the references to files
independent from the project structure as well.

Maybe I can just live with TEXINPUTS and BIBINPUTS... :-)

I guess the magic could be at some extent done with "\usepath".
Leaving the probably already extensively discussed "\usepath"
precedence order for another discussion...

> One can hardcode a path in the tex source if needed. Another option is to
> move to the source path (something texmfstart --path ... texexec ... or
> mtxrun --path ... --script context ...) but what's best depends on the kind
> of project.

I definitely prefer not to hard code paths in the source. Actually, I
would like the "components" to not have to worry at all about where
they live...

I will study texmfstart. :-)

> Do you really need to use context mkii? As it's a new project, using context
> mkiv might be a better idea.

No, I don't. I want to use always the preferred solution. I want to
follow your guidelines and be enlightened... :-)
How did you know I was using one and not the other? I didn't know it myself!!!

Thank you very much for your help and for this great piece of software, Hans.

André Caldas.