I had to switch to "\placeinitial", e.g.

Instead of:
% \usemodule[lettrine]
% \setuplettrine[Raise=0.1,FontHook=\darkgrey,TextFont=\tf]

I used:

\setupinitial[color=darkgrey,n=2,voffset=-1.5ex]
and then:
\placeinitial My text …

See also
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20120322.214713.ca22f882.en.html