On 16-10-2012 23:33, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

I actually use these abstractions, but with the default value also set.
That's the whole point of having the defaults, right? So, my current
solution is:

\setupexternalfigures[scale=750, factor=max, maxwidth=\textwidth,
maxheight=\textheight]

\defineexternalfigure[grid]
     [width=0.55\paperwidth, height=0.33\paperwidth, scale=, factor=]

Around five months ago, I did not need to reset scale and factor.

The code now uses the new inheritance mechamisn and in mkii external figures had a whole bunch of (sometimes tricky) resets. Some were reset, some not. One complication with externalfigures is that scaling can depend on combinations (width, maxwidth etc).

This is not much different from \setupframed .. when someone uses that one global all kind of derived mechanisms get affected. (In fact, there are many such global settings.)