2012-11-08 Bill Meahan:

> I note there are two different ways of handling a chapter:
>
> The traditional \chapter{mytitle}
>
> \startchapter[title=mytitle, ownnumber=N ..]
>    blah
> \stopchapter
>
> Is there any difference or advantage/disadvatage to using one method or
> the other?

With the start…stop syntax you can easily apply different options to
the individual structure elements or add additional information. The
\chapter syntax is less verbose but less flexible. But it has at
least one caveat that I know: The insidesection key of \setuphead
does not work.

> Other than the source code, is there anything that lists the keys for
> \startchapter somewhere?

Keys that I know about:

  \startchapter[
      label=...,
      title=...,
      marking=...,
      list=...,
      bookmark=...,
      reference=... ]
  \stopchapter

You can also add an additional pair of brackets with custom
settings:

  \startchapter
    [title={First chapter}]
    [foo=bar]
  \stopchapter

In the setups this information is accessible as:

  \structureuservariable{foo}

> It's not documented in even the most recent command reference.

Welcome to ConTeXt :)

Be the first of your friends to add this information to the wiki.

Marco