On Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Marco Patzer wrote:

2012-11-26 Sietse Brouwer:

Since I don't use MetaPost, I don't think I'm the best person to
document this. But I took this as an opportunity to create the command
reference pages for a bunch of the \...MP... commands; perhaps one of
you could add this info to the proper page(s)?

Thanks. I added some info about the change mentioned in this thread.

Also: a question about
\startuseMPgraphic and
\startuniqueMPgraphic.
Both are supposed to be recompiled at every usage, so how are they
different? Actually trying it out suggests that useMPgraphic is the
only one of the two that re-evaluates its code every time; compare the
examples at

AFAIK useMPgraphic is always recalculated, reusableMPgraphic never
is. uniqueMPgraphic takes the size into account and recalculates if
the graphic dimensions change. If I recall correctly this is
mentioned somewhere in the MetaFun manual. But I agree, all these
commands for including MP graphics are confusing, given the fact
that one can survive pretty well with only useMPgraphic. I attached
a small example to show the difference.

The distinction was more important in MkII when extra runs for different MP graphics could take a lot of time. But it MkIV, the difference in performance is, I believe, inconsequential.

Aditya