Hans has be playing with MetaPost instances which got broken.

\startMPpage\stopMPpage got the wrong instance
whereas \startTEXpage\startMPcode\stopMPcode\stopMPpage correctly got
the default instance.

Normally, this was fixed, but your minimal example still does not
work for me either. Something else is at cause...

The reasons Hans has modified MP instances are:
1. we wanted to isolate the chemistry drawing macros from other MP use,
but not from the user, and
2. we uncovered an error with mlib when using a very great number of
MP pictures.

Alan