We are currently in the process of a complete re-write of the chemical macros.
In fact, we are almost finished and Hans is including the new macros in the
beta (as fast as he can keep up with my changes...).

In your example, I see the spacing problem in display math but do not see the
font problem. Maybe Hans can fix this extra spacing problem.

Rather than display math (as was suggested with ppchTeX), we have now introduced
\startchemicalformula
\stopchemicalformula
in order to "display" a chemical formula.

Also, I'm not sure why you might want to put \chemical{} within a \text
command; may I suggest either \type{\chemical{CO_2}} or {\tt typewriter
\chemical{CO_2}}, depending upon what you want to achieve.

Alan