On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Meer H. van der wrote:
> Found this one with a lucky guess.
> The macro call \doiffile{picture} does find a usable picture file (I guess
> picture.pdf) in my tex-tree.
> My conclusion would be that the search no longer starts in the current
> directory but does a global search first. That used to be different.
> Why the change?

I had a similar (yet unresolved) problem, see thread "ConTeXt inputs
files from TEXMF/doc" from October 2012:
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/78692

I'm not sure if that was really a change, but it probably isn't
intentionally so. My wild guess is that pdf takes precedence over jpg
(ConTeXt would probably first test if picture.pdf is found and only if
that one wouldn't be, it would try picture.png or jpg). In any case
ConTeXt should not even search in doc folder for files to be included
as a picture. If those PDFs from doc folders would be excluded, most
such problems would go away, I believe. You probably included
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/doc/latex/oberdiek/picture.pdf?

Mojca