Philipp Gesang wrote:
Hi Bill.

···<date: 2013-03-11, Monday>···<from: Bill Meahan>···

Am I correct in thinking the rst module does not process the "class"
and "container" directives?
When I wrote the module I was working with the reST spec [0] and
the syntax reference [1]. It’s been a while, but afair I
implemented the spec completely (with the limitations described
in the manual). It does not, to my knowledge, define the
directives you mention and I don’t know what they’re supposed to
do.

(Btw. like much of the spec, “container” and “class” sound
suspiciously HTML-specific. If that is true, they address one
output markup which happens to be -- not Context! I might find
the time to add a simple wrapper for the container thingy (to
boxes or framed?). However, I doubt that it’s possible to
replicate the behavior of HTML divs + CSS without a larger effort
[2]. In this case it might be preferable to have docutils
generate some XML and directly typeset the result with Context.)

Best regards
Philipp

Hi Philip

The .class and .container direectives are certainly there with *ML in mind but
I think there might be analog situatins in ConTeXt.

.. class::  classname

        blah, blah, blah

exists to stick a class name on the following element for styling with an
external stylesheet of some sort. CSS/CSS3 are probably the primary examles but
other XML-bases markus apply just as well

.. class::classname

        blab, blab, blab

could yield

  <h2 class=classname>blab. blab, blab</h2>

or anything else that can take a class name attribute.

.. container:: containername

  Foo, bar, baz

  bunch of stuff

yields

        foo, bar, baz

        bunch of stuff

I would think ",, class:: "
ought to map quite well in ConTeXt:

  \setupsomething [classname] [attributelist]

   \startclassname

     Whatever

   \stopclassname

for suitable values of "something"

.. container:: probably maps to something like \frame[containername]
although frames as such cannot cross page boundaries. Perhaps there is (or
could be) a more suitable construct. I'm trying to be exemplary not directive.
:)

ConTeXt environment files are certainly analogus to CSS files and are used with
the same end goals in mind.

"styling" markup elements through "class=" or equivalent is rapidly becoming
the order of the day for a wide variety of documents. Certainly (X)HTML, epub2, epub3, ODT, DOCX
and an increasing horde of others are either there or heading there very soon.

Am I way off base here?

--
Bill Meahan
Westland, Michigan USA