On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 3/20/2013 8:14 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
>>
>> Hi Hans, All,
>>
>> I find this nomenclature confusing and a little confusing from a design
>> standpoint!
>>
>>         1)  Color of the text background should be separate from the rest
>>                of the cell background
>>
>>         2) the names should reflect to what they apply
>>
>> That said we should have:
>>         CTBGC == Cell text background color
>>         CTC      == Cell text color
>>
>>         CBGC == Cell background color
>>                        or
>>           CC      == Cell color
>>
>>         CBGCR   == Cell background color in the space right of text
>>         CBGCM  == Cell background color in space middle of cell( above
>> below text)
>>         CBGCL   == Cell background color in the space right of text
>>
>> True, these are a lot of options/parameters, yet it offers the most
>> flexibility and
>> a cleaner interface. Furthermore, one can understand the names of the
>> parameters.
>

> preamble scanning is already quite tricky and there was already CR CM CL so
> adding CT was a few lines of extra code
>
> (i will probably make a key/val based variant some day but that is no fun
> either ... 10 lines of setup per table instead of a one line preeamble)
>
> (and i'm forbidden to fundamentally change an important mechanism like
> tabulate right now as for sure it will break some things)

Further, the declaration of a tabulate environment already tends to be pretty
tight on space, so IMO a little bit of obscurity in these parameters - provided
they stay documented - is an acceptable price to pay for keeping the keys to
two letters (three would probably be OK too, esp. for less frequently used
ones).

>> Another, advantage is that one could and at a later point a feature for
>> inverting the
>> color of the text according cell color and/or text background color.
>>
>> regards
>>         Keith.

I've added this to the wiki.

Just to be clear: CT provides an alternate method to colorize the
text, instead of
using the standard \color[foo]{bar} - right? There is already a
section on using
the \color command to colorize the text, so I want to make sure I'm adding this
correctly as a complementary mechanism, or fix it if I misunderstood.

- Jon