>From ConTeXt's Wiki Garden the below should work, but it isn't.
How can this be accomlished.  I want to use just \dagger for the symbol, but
any symbol would do.

\definesymbol[4]{\dagger]

\starttext
\defineconversion[dagger][{\dagger},{\dagger}]   % use a \dagger for the
footnote.
\setupfootnotes[conversion=set dagger,location=text]
This is the dagger, \dagger{}    I want to use for reference\footnote{Will the
dagger appear}.

A second line here for robustness.\footnote{It's a number still.}
\stoptext

Also I could find no explanations for what a set is, as in  conversion=set 1 or
2 or 3 etc.  What is set 1 or 2 or 3?

Regards.