On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 14:04:44 +0200
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schm...@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is a very far shot, but just maybe... I have been looking at prezi
> (http://prezi.com/). There's lots of aspects there that don't appeal to
> me, but I find the general idea very nice: a presentation is sort of a
> big poster, with some background graphics. You define areas on this
> poster into which your content goes (so these would be the "slides" in a
> conventional presentation). When you show your presentation, your viewer
> will zoom in on these areas and present them full screen, and it will
> move along a predefined path, thus showing the areas (slides) in a
> certain order. The nice thing is that you can, at any moment, zoom out
> and show the entire poster, thus giving an overview of your presentation
> in which only the bigger elements (headlines etc.) will be readable. Now
> I was wondering if the same couldn't be done with ConTeXt, pdf and
> javascript: producing a big pdf with a background image would be fairly
> easy (metapost's vector graphics would look good at any zoom level).
> Placing slides with content there could be done via layers. Zooming in
> and showing certain areas is doable (but obviously would depend on the
> pdf viewer, especially for the full screen mode). I have no idea if we
> have support for rotating areas in a pdf viewer. Would javascript be
> capable of automating this, i.e. defining areas in a pdf, displaying
> them at a certain zoom level, and move from one area to the next? I
> think this would be a nice alternative to traditional slide shows.
>
> Thomas

Very fashionable, phluffy, breaks the ice at parties...

I sat through a prezi presentation recently. The speaker took us on a
long trip. It was "cool"! But in the end, there was not much to retain,
and I thought: "where's the beef?".

As to the constant zooming in and out, I kept wondering what the little
specks represented (that I knew we would soon be visiting). Sort of like
the old transparency technique of hiding parts with paper flaps. Lots of
suspense! :)

Remember, viewed from afar, all organisms look just like flies.

For further discussion, I suggest:
http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_pp

Alan