On 4/13/2013 12:33 PM, Robert Blackstone wrote:
Dear all,
A few days ago (10 April 2013, Vol.106, Issue 25) I posted a question
about giving related but not necessarily adjacent floats the same
number, as for example Fig. 2a and Fig. 2b.
In the meantime I found a, not very elegant, solution that only partly
satisfies me.

I cooked up something experimental ... after several variants i ended up with a solution that is only available in the keyword variant:

\useMPlibrary[dum]

\starttext

First line.

\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=first,title=first]
    \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure

Second line.

\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=second,title=second,group=alpha,groupsuffix=.a]
    \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure

Third line.

\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=third,title=third]
    \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure

Fourth line.

\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=fourth,title=fourth,group=alpha,groupsuffix=.b]
    \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure

Fifth line.

\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=fifth,title=fifth,group=alpha,groupsuffix=.c]
    \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure

Last line: \in[first] / \in[second] / \in[third] / \in[fourth] / \in[fifth].

\page

\placelist[figure]

\stoptext

(beware: it's groupsuffix, and not suffix as that will add another one not tracked in the lists)