On 4/16/2013 5:25 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

Am 16.04.2013 um 09:32 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu>:

Has something changed recently on how product-component structure is
supposed to
be used? I have three files:

1. prd.tex

   \environment env

   \startproduct prd

   \component cmp

   \stopproduct

2. env.tex

   \startenvironment env

   \define\testing{This is a test}

   \stopenvironment

3. cmp.tex

   \product prd

   \startcomponent cmp

   Testing \testing

   \stopcomponent

When I compile cmp.tex, I get:

%--------------------------%<-----------------------------
[…]
mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: 1%
%--------------------------%<-----------------------------

Shouldn't the product file not load the component file (or anything
else inside
\startproduct .. \stopproduct) when compiling a component?

The product file loads the component but this isn’t what you’re doing.

You process the component which doesn’t load product file because this
would end in a loop
because the product would then again load the component etc.

Add “\environment env” at the begin of your component file and the
problem disappears.
Since environment files are loaded only once it doesn’t matter when
the line is in each
component file.

I thought that the whole point of adding `\product ...` in a component
file was so that I do not have to add all the `\environment ...` in the
component file.

Actually, if I change the product -> component then everything works as
expected, so perhaps I did not remember correctly how the
project-product-component hierarchy is to be used. I thought that the
project part was optional, but it seems that one must include a project
as well (if you want not to add all the environments in the component file)

see core-job.lua ... around line 435 ... there we define what gets done once, many times, never