Hi Tim,

[PalatinoRoman sa 1]
This means "PalatinoRoman scaled at 1 x bodyfontsize. The document's
body font size is 12 pt, but chapter headers usually are ... like,
about 2.4 * body font size? Hence the size mismatch.

[PalatinoRoman sa *]
This means "AnotherFont is PalatinoRoman scaled to 1 x the font size
at time of calling.

Compare these two MWE's (I've changed the font name to
texgyrepagellaregular so that the example will work for any ConTeXt
user.)

\setupbodyfont[12pt]
\definefontsynonym[PalatinoRoman][texgyrepagellaregular][features=default]
\definefont[AnotherFontSaOne][PalatinoRoman sa 1]
\definefont[AnotherFontSaStar][PalatinoRoman sa *]

\starttext
\chapter{Fonts and \AnotherFontSaOne Fonts}
Generalized \AnotherFontSaOne Generals. (Constant size)

\chapter{Fonts and \AnotherFontSaStar Fonts}
Generalized \AnotherFontSaStar Generals. (Adapt to current size)
\stoptext

I got this information from page 5 of the Fonts chapter of the
long-coming manual. (Not the same as the document detailing what you
can do with OTF and Lua, although I think that one, too, is called a
fonts manual.)
http://context.aanhet.net/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/co-fonts.pdf

Cheers,
Sietse