Alan wrote:
> In the production of (scientific) articles for
> journal submissions, one is often expected to
> supply the figures as separate files.
>
> One workflow can be through the use of \startTEXpage\stopTEXpage
> followed by an external extraction of single pdf pages to separate
> files.

It might be easier to place the figure code in a separate file, with
some conditional code:
* if the figure file is being compiled directly, execute a
\startTEXpage ... \stopTEXpage at start and end
* if the figure file is not the compilation target, i.e. it is being
\input, skip the \startTEXpage and just include the figure code.

The MWE below *ought* to work, but it doesn't, and I can't get it
debugged. Perhaps \doifinputfileelse and \input don't play well
together? Assistance welcome!

Cheers,
Sietse

%%%% mwe-mode-text.tex

% 2013-05-01
\doifinputfileelse{mwe-mode-text.tex}{
    \startTEXpage
    This is standalone compilation: \jobname
}{\relax}

\placefigure[][fig:cow]
   {This is a cow}
   {\externalfigure[cow]}