\startxmlsetups takes one (implicit) parameter #1, the current node.
The setup can be called with \setup{node}{command}.

My question: Can there be another parameter transferred to the \startxmlsetups
from the \setup call?

What I would like to do is having a variant \startxmlsetups and corresponding
\setup with three parameters {#1}{#2}{#3}. Then argument #3 will allow me to
transfer extraneous information to the \startxmlsetups. So one can avoid
transferring information through (global) defines, which makes code less
general and not very transparant.

Hans van der Meer