I am just starting with the bibliography module and ran the following test:

\cite[authoryear,left=(yes: ,right=; Rk)][frank98foundations] here,
\cite[author][frank98foundations], then \cite[year][frank98foundations], then
\cite{otrosina88isozyme,frank91ecological,frank98foundations,abraham82dynamics:}
 said and then { \cite[otrosina88isozyme]} commented and then
\cite{abraham82dynamics:}

With my setup, that gave:

(yes: Frank 1998; Rk) here, Frank, then 1998, then (Otrosina et al. 1988; Frank
1991c,1998; Abraham and Shaw 1982) said and then (Otrosina et al. 1988)
commented and then (Abraham and Shaw 1982)

I give more on setup below.

My three issues:

1. The space after the period in "et al." stretches, which does not look right.
 I tried modifying the "otherstext" field in various ways, but could not get a
working solution.  Any advice?

2. With the "compress" option on for authoryears, the dates 1991c,1998 are
correctly combined in the second set, but I would like a space as "1991c, 1998"
instead of "1991c,1998".

3. The citations listed here are all of the ones in the current document.  The
date 1991c should be 1991, without a letter, because there is neither 1991a nor
1991b.  Is there a way to get consistent letter of repeated years, such that no
letter is present without repeat, and the letters are given in the order in
which they appear in the text?

---

I am new to ConTeXt, and started by copying someone else' environment.  Here
are the relevant parts:

\usemodule[bib]

\setupbibtex[database={main}]

\setuppublications
            [alternative=apa,
             sorttype=bbl,
             refcommand=authoryears,
             criterium=text,
             numbering=no]

\setupcite
       [year]
       [pubsep={, },
        lastpubsep={ and },
        compress=yes,
        inbetween={},
        left={},
        right={}]

\setupcite
       [author]
       [pubsep={, },
        lastpubsep={ and },
        compress=yes,
        inbetween={},
        left={},
        right={}]

\setupcite
       [authoryears]
       [pubsep={; },
        % otherstext={ et al. }, % cannot get that to work
        % \c!otherstext={ et al.},
        lastpubsep={; },
        compress=yes,
        inbetween={ },