Dear Marco,

> > I'd like to type two blocks of text with different 'align' settings
> side by
> > side.
>
> Here's one way to do it:
>
> \setupframed
>   [offset=1ex,
>    width=8cm,
>    frame=off]
>
> \starttext
>   \placesidebyside
>     {\startframed[align={normal,left}]  \input knuth\par\stopframed}
>     {\startframed[align={normal,right}] \input knuth\par\stopframed}
> \stoptext
>
> Marco

thanks for this. I removed that framed=off option and it turned out to be
sligthly different from what I'd like to achieve.

My goal is to have two blocks with a vertical gap between them and to have
these blocks framed (or with the colored background) at the text area - without
the cell spans - to show differences between the standard and 'hanging'
alignments (that right border should cross the punctuation in the hanging mode).

Below each 'column' I'd like to place a short description (centered) - exactly
as on the referenced examples.

Jan