There is a nice answer from W. Schuster to the vowel placement question in
the archives at http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2011/059969.html (I
didn't find it because the subject is "Misaligned Marks" rather than
"Hebrew vowel placement" but it resolves the question.  (Idris's
suggestions regarding options  to \definefontfeature were right on --
thanks) and I also learned more about \setupalign
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupalign

"*I am trying to set some text in Hebrew with diacritical marks, and
whenever there is a diacritical that's supposed to come in the middle of a
letter, all the marks are coming off misaligned, right after the glyph
rather than in the middle of it (or wherever they're supposed to be)."
*

Solution:

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\definefontfeature[hebrew][default][script=hebr,ccmp=yes,mark=yes]

\setmainfont[Ezra SIL][features=hebrew]

\setupalign[r2l]

\starttext
בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ
\stoptext

Thanks all.