On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
> Hi All, Mojca,
>
> please excuse my ignorance of the inner workings of windows, but
> would it not be possible to have the permissions corrected by the
> first-setup.sh
> script after the rsync?

(I'm not sure to which part you were replying.)

Sure it could, but it's way better if the original file on the server
already has the right permissions, else rsync will keep reverting the
change, over and over again. (We are talking about using cygwin
directly now.)

The problems that we had on native windows (using cygwin's rsync only)
was that even with proper permissions on the server, cygwin did
something very bad/weird with permissions on the client's side, so the
resulting binaries were completely useless. Of course, running chmod
helped, but that's a weird cure because it has to be repeated after
each sync. Each sync "fixes" (= destroys) permissions again. Using the
weird nontsec setting solved the problem, even though I still believe
that that could be considered a bug in rsync or its port to Windows.

Mojca