On 7/21/2013 9:29 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
Dear list,

I was asked how to mix l2r and r2l scripts on the same document. (Just
in case, I have no idea what the Hebrew text below means.)

I have this sample:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefontfeature[hebrew][lang=heb,script=hebr]
\setmainfontfallback[LinuxLibertineO][range=hebrew,force=yes,features=hebrew]
\setmainfont[TeX Gyre Pagella]

\starttext

This is an English text.\blank

This is a Hebrew passage: בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם
וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽ...
\stoptext

I could use \setupalign[r2l], but English would be typeset also right to
left.

I have two questions:

Since Hebrew (both the language and the script) are written from right
to left, shouldn’t it be r2l alignment turned on by default when the
script or language were selected in the OpenType features?

How can I enable r2l alignment only for Hebrew in the sample above?

\setupdirections[bidi=on]

but keep in mind that as we're deling with tex i.e. a programmable system which has commands for changing directions, automatisms can clash with user commands (when decisions are to be made)