On 7/31/2013 10:51 PM, Matt Gushee wrote:

Once again I'm returning to ConTeXt after a long absence [maybe if I
just kept using it I wouldn't have these problems?]. I'm trying to get
started with MkIV; I don't feel a strong need to have the very latest
code, so unless there are serious bugs, I want to use the version
included with TexLive. At any rate, that's what I currently have and
am trying to use. But I am running into issues with files not being
found, e.g.:

as a start you could try the distribution from the garden; at least it's a good way to figure out if there is something fishy with your system

there are fundamental differences between tl 2012 and tl 2013 .. did tl 2012 work ok?

Yes, I ran mtxrun --generate first, though I am a bit confused as to
whether I need to run that *and* luatools --generate, or just one or
the other. Anyway, mtxrun --generate appears to work:

luatools is not needed; mtxrun --generate does the job (and once you have context installed normally this is done automatically as is format generation)

in the reported 'tree' files in the cache you can check if files like context.mkiv are present

This shows that mtxrun finds the correct configuration file--as far as
I know, /usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua is the only instance
of texmfcnf.lua on my system. And then it uses the value I have set in
texmfcnf.lua to cache its output:

depending on the version of texlive texmf or texmf-dist is used for files

you can run

mtxrun --variables
mtxrun --expansions

to see if there are weird settings (maybe from env vars)

               TEXMFCACHE      = "/var/cache/texmf",

             -- not used by context at all

             TEXMFSYSVAR     = "$TEXMFCACHE",
             TEXMFVAR        = "$TEXMFCACHE",

So that's good. Yet the 'context' and 'luatools' commands can't find
the lua scripts. Well, I hypothesized that $LUAINPUTS might be wrong,
so I tried this:

messing with LUAINPUTS should not be needed

LUAINPUTS=/usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/context/lua luatools --generate

And it seems to work. However:

LUAINPUTS=/usr/share/texmf-dist/scripts/context/lua context --make
resolvers       | resolving | using given filetype 'tex'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'cont-en.mkiv'
resolvers       | resolving | using given filetype 'tex'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'cont-en.tex'
resolvers       | formats | no tex source file with name 'cont-en' (mkiv or tex)
resolvers       | formats | using format path
'/var/cache/texmf/luatex-cache/context/0399a8df3aef8d154781d0a9c2b8e28d/formats/luatex'
resolvers       | resolving | using given filetype 'tex'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'cont-nl.mkiv'
resolvers       | resolving | using given filetype 'tex'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'cont-nl.tex'
resolvers       | formats | no tex source file with name 'cont-nl' (mkiv or tex)
system          | total runtime: 0.239

so no file database is present or the database has not all files

So now the lua scripts are found, but the context macro files are not.

At this point let me describe how my system is set up. As I said
above, I'm attempting to use the ConTeXt that comes with TexLive. I've
just upgraded TeXLive to the 2013 release, but that does not seem to
affect these issues. Anyway, the executables are in /usr/bin;
/usr/bin/mtxrun is the complete Lua script (i.e. not a symlink or any
sort of stub), which appears to be identical to
$TEXMF/scripts/context/stubs/unix/mtxrun. /usr/bin/luatools and
/usr/bin/context also appear to be copies of their counterparts in the
aforementioned stubs directory.

upgrading texlive means wiping out the old one .. maybe there are traces of older texlives? maybe in some local texmf tree in home?

The TeXLive packages for Arch provide the following trees:

   /usr/share/texmf
   /usr/share/texmf-dist
   /usr/share/texmf-config

Almost everything important is now in /usr/share/texmf-dist, and there
are no ConTeXt-related files in /usr/share/texmf. Accordingly,
texmf.cnf contains the following definitions:

   TEXMFDIST = $TEXMFROOT/texmf-dist
   TEXMFMAIN = $TEXMFDIST
   TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/share/texmf;/usr/share/texmf

So I have updated texmfcnf.lua to contain the following:

   TEXMFDIST       = "selfautoparent:texmf-dist",
   TEXMFMAIN       = "$TEXMFDIST",
   TEXMFLOCAL = "/usr{/local}/share/texmf",

texmflocal is normally not used (afaik)

it could relate to the texmf/texmf-dist changes (although we made sure that we adapted the scripts etc to support that rather fundamental change in texlive 2013)

I'm not sure if that syntax is correct, but the definition of
TEXMFLOCAL does not appear to affect the issues I'm concerned with
here. Also, I should mention that my main reason for defining

indeed (in the garden distribution we also have trees like texmf-context for context, texmf-fonts for user fonts, texmf-project for project specific files, while texmf-local is only used for persistent local overloads

TEXMFLOCAL as I did (as well as TEXMFCACHE = /var/cache/texmf), is
that I feel rather strongly (in keeping with what I understand to be
'Linux best practices') that files which are not managed by the Linux
package manager should not be under /usr. But if by chance that is
causing problems I don't absolutely have to do it that way.

Anyway, somehow important files are not being found. Any suggestions?

does arch-linux use stock texlive or do they adapt it