On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 16:01:27 +0200
luigi scarso <luigi.sca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu>
> wrote:
>

> > I think that the advice of omitting the file extension given in
> > most LaTeX introductions is more trouble than it is worth in
> > ConTeXt. Omitting file extensions is important if you are
> > generating both dvi and pdf outputs. In ConTeXt, one never uses the
> > DVI output, so I think that one should ALWAYS specify the file
> > extension. That removes a lot of headaches with the wrong file
> > being sourced.
> >
> > +1.

-1

One might have png, jpeg, pdf, eps and other figure files. The choice
of which will be used depends eventually on where the file is to be
found... (and setupexternalfigures). This is a *feature*. It has
nothing to do with LaTeX.

Of course, one can always specify an extension explicitly if one so
wishes...

Furthermore, the file extension is simply a convenient label which
makes no difference whatsoever on any serious system. (but not so on
more primitive operating systems. ;)

Alan