On 9/4/2013 3:19 AM, Thangalin wrote:
Hi,

The attached t.tex file produces the attached t.xhtml file. I have
looked at the following documents:

  * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB#Open_Publication_Structure_2.0..1
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB#Open_Publication_Structure_2.0.1>
  * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTBook
  * http://www.idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPS_2.0.1_draft.htm
  * http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/doctype.html
  * http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/sections.html

It seems that the macros in t.tex are being written out as XML elements,
verbatim. It is my understanding that these XML elements, however, do
not conform to the minimal content models associated with XHTML 1.1.

you get a representation in xml indeed, but not verbatim, but as close as possible to the genaric (parent) structure elements in context

of course we could alternatively export all as <div class="tag-subtag-..."> but i don't like that too much; html itself is not rich enough for our purpose

What needs to happen to take a minimal ConTeXt file (such as the
attached) to produce a minimum viable EPUB that:

  * Generates XHTML headers (including <!DOCTYPE and <html...>)

not needed as we're 'standalone'

  * Produces images as img tags, rather than float tags.

the css can deal with them (info is written to files for that)

the only real problematic thing is hyperlinks as css has no provision for that so there's an option to inject <a>...

  * Uses typical XHTML tags for <body> elements (e.g., <ol> for ordered
    lists).

xhtml has no typical tags .. it's xml + css (or xslt) ... unfortunately browsers have messed up html so much (extensions, too tolerant support for unmatched tags, different rendering models) that xhtml never really took off

the export of context is in fact just xml, and by tagging it as xhtml we can apply css to it; but if someone has a workflow for producing epub an option if to postprocess that xml file into whatever epub one wants (i.e. the export is generic and carries as much info as possible)

Ideally, I would like to do something such as:

  * context t.tex
  * mtxrun --script epub --make t.specification

to generate an EPUB that passes validation of epubcheck
<http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/wiki/Library>, with an output XHTML
file that more closely matches the XHTML specification.

Everytime we look into epub there's another issue ... it's not a standard but reversed engineered application mess (happen soften with xml: turn some application data structures into xml and call it a standard)

I only tested (long ago already) with some firefox plugin (i don't have a recent epub device, only an old firts generation one which is dead slow, never relly used, probably broken by now) and i refuse to buy a new one till resolution is decent (and i only want generic devices, not something bound to some shop)

How can I help?

by testing

as i have no real use/demand for epub it's not something i look into on a daily basis