Also the itemize environment is broken too (perhaps same issue is here too):

\setupitemize[left=(, right=), margin=4em, stopper=]
\starttext
\setupalign[r2l]
\definefont[arabicfont][Arial*arabic at 20pt]
\setupdirections[bidi=global,method=default]
\arabicfont
\startitemize[a]
\item اولی
\item دومی
\stopitemize
\stoptext

and if I swap right and left parentheses, I get the following error:

error: .../context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/typo-dha.lua:184:
attempt to index local 'current' (a nil value)