Sorry, I should have been more clear about the intended output.

In the most common case, I simply wanted side by side output:  witnesses
in the left column, and testator in the right column.  Rarely, is it
expected to traverse a page.  The paragraph method does this; \paragraph
goes to the top of the next column.  The columns method does not:
\column, at least for this combination of input, does not go to the top
of the next column, but rather pushes the subsequent input to the top of
the next page, which is not the intention.

So, the paragraph method produces the expected "two-column layour"
output while the columns method does not.

However, your tabulate method is perfect fine especially if one needs
the output to cross page boundaries.

Any idea to make fillinrules behave like a list, i.e., with the indices
hanging to the left of equal sized rules?

Thanks for your help.

--
----
Pavneet Arora           m: 647.406.6843