> You can use \switchtobodyfont to change the size for certain parts of a text
> but it’s best to keep this to a minimum because \tfa etc. are a  lot faster.
>
> The reason why you don’t need \setupinterlinespace when you use
> \switchtobodyfont is that \setupinterlinespace is already called by
> \switchtobodyfont.
>
> Another thing which shouldn’t be forgotten is that \switchtobodyfont
> controls and changes the sizes for \tfa etc.
>
> Wolfgang

To summarize this, and what I've learned from others on this list over
the last week or two, I've updated the wiki page
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Font_Switching
It's a pretty substantial change, so I hope someone knowledgeable will
look at it and make sure it's right.

I'm trying to find ways to express the fact that, as I understand it,
there are two distinct concepts of "current font" in effect at any given
time:
1) the bodyfont, which is set by \setupbodyfont or \switchtobodyfont
2) the "effective" font (is there a more standard term for this?) which
is changed by \tfa, \ss, etc.

\tfa etc. change the effective font based on what the bodyfont is.
Anything that changes the bodyfont, such as \switchtobodyfont, also
affects the linespacing.
Just changing the effective font does not affect the linespacing.
Changing the bodyfont changes the effective font.

Does that give an accurate picture?

Thanks,
Lars