On 11/16/2013 11:00 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
Hi Bill,

Using a PDF as a basis for creating an Epub ebook is actually a lost cause.
EPUB is a container format that just wraps around your PDF. I do not know of any
ereader that can actually adjust the formatting/layout of a pdf in any
significantly
useful way. You are stuck with the formatting in the PDF.

For a EPUB-ebook to adjust properly you need to use HTML5 and CSS. Producing
PDF an sticking it into a
EPUB or MOBI wrapper just does not make sense.

regards
        Keith.

You are totally misreading what I wrote!

I know there is no direct PDF -> EPUB route and it's a fool's errand to think there is. However, with appropriate headers, ConTeXt is supposed to create either a PDF or and EPUB from a common source file marked up for ConTeXt. Hence, if I run

wwm$ context <options> export-example.tex

I expect to get a PDF *but* if I run

wwm$ mtxrun --script epub --make export-example.tex <- the same export-example.tex as above

I would /expect/ to get a valid EPUB file, or so I'm lead to believe.

At the moment, I'm simply trying it out using Hans' "export-example.tex" file that comes as part of the standard ConTeXt distribution, either Standalone or part of one of the other distributions. I haven't even opened the export-example.tex file in an editor (yet) in this round of trials and I've even run the script against it right in the ..../base/ directory where it is found in the distribution so I don't understand why it is not producing a valid EPUB. Once I've got that sorted out, I can try applying the lessons learned to my own documents.

--
Bill Meahan, Westland, Michigan

“Writing is like getting married. One should never
   commit oneself until one is amazed at one's luck.”

                               —Iris Murdoch