On 11/25/2013 12:20 PM, "H. Özoguz" wrote:
i tried to reproduce your issue but gave up because of the fact that
it's unclear what (version) of the font is used ... you switched from 10
to 09 and in 09 i see no 'big circular thing' so your version is
different from the one i donwload ... so, i cannot even be certain that
the font is okay ... so if you want to test:

- make sure that you use fonts consistently
- make sure we know where to get that version of the font
- make sure that corel draw (or whatever) is using the same font

You are right, sorry to annoy you here, some chaos in my place ...

So, to clear all questions: for this min-example (which is at the moment
my last unsolved problem with this font) I used this font:
http://fonts.qurancomplex.gov.sa/download/UthmanicHafs1Ver09Font.zip

And yes, Corel Draw uses this font, too.

BUT: There might me some issue with this font relating this
end-of-aya-symbol, independent from ConTeXt. See the attached JPG, which
is the output of CorelDraw, if I input exactly the same arabic code,
like in my example.
You see in the picture a different behaviour between the one-digit and
two-digit numbers aswell. But it is a different behaviour from ConText,
the symbol is used, but the brackets are not replaced.

Can you reproduce it now?

yes, but calling this a normal font is somewhat over-the-top

(1) the left/right () are not part of the lookup, and they are not even in the font: imo they should be, and also be part of the lookup then

(2) you cannot expect other digits to work well as *all* become ornamented, so the font is only useable for special purposes (for which it might lack other niceties)

(3) the <arabic number> * n are mapped onto a ligature (lots of them are available in the font, upto a certain number)

(4) so, also a single digit is a ligature and (mostly because i have all kinds of tracing depending on cases, i never expected that one to happen so it was not done at all)

At least I now see the odd cases and keep an eye on them. It's also another demo that traditional font terminology - like 'ligature' - in opentype usage / implementation is rather useless.

I uploaded a beta that fixes the single-substitution-disguised-as-ligature but be aware of the fact that it's a somewhat weird font so watch your input.