On Wed, 4 Dec 2013, Lars Huttar wrote:

On Dec 4, 2013 12:16:12 pm Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

On 12/4/2013 12:37 PM, Lars Huttar wrote:
Hi,
Based on our reading of
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/FO_Page_Layout#First_Page
we have the following MWE, which we want to put a page number in the
footer on the first page only:

\definetext[footerpagenumber][footer][pagenumber]

\setuphead[section][header=empty,footer=footerpagenumber,number=no,align={middle,nothyphenated,verytolerant},style=ssbf]

\starttext

\section{My Own Section}

\dorecurse{15}{ \input knuth \par }

\stoptext

Unfortunately, no page number shows up.

If we add
  \setuppagenumbering[location=footer]
before the \starttext, we get the page numbering we want, but it's on
every page, not just the first.

Is there something wrong with our setuphead?

This works only when your heading forces a page break with the “page=yes”
setting in \setuphead.

Thanks for this response.
Actually, we were able to get it to work as follows.

First, we used
\definehead[section][chapter]
to get section to inherit some settings from chapter.
This included the "page=yes" setting you mentioned (which we don't want,
because we handle page breaks with some separate special logic); but it
also apparently includes some unknown magic that enables page numbers in
footers.

Then we add "page=no" to the \setuphead[section] command, to override
the inherited "page=yes".
Apparently, it works:

\definetext[footerpagenumber][footer][pagenumber]

\definehead[section][chapter]

\setuphead[section][page=no,header=empty,footer=footerpagenumber,number=no,align={middle,nothyphenated,verytolerant},style=ssbf]

\starttext

\section{My Own Section}

\dorecurse{15}{ \input knuth \par }

\stoptext

I would love to know what the default properties of the \chapter head
are, so we could know what we're inheriting, or how to set up section to
do what we want without inheriting unknown properties from chapter.

(Untested): Looking at the code, it looks that any value other than page=, (i.e, page=empty) should work. Did you try the above example without the \definehead[section][chapter] line?

Aditya