Hi Pablo,

Like I mentioned it depends of the paradigm one uses or to be more
expressive: the meta level of discussion.

To All: please excuse the use of buzz words in the following.

The start/stop mechanism has a different semio-syntactic usage depending on the
context (not ConTeXt) it is used in.

It can be used for :
        1) do command

        2) usage of format or element

        3) set a variable as in start/stopbuffer

 This different semantic usage is somewhat unfortunate, but has the advantage
of keeping
the instruction set(syntax) of ConTeXt simple!

The best nomenclature would be entity, but that is not easy to understand for
the average joe and jane.

On the other side the start/stop mechanism can be seen, in terms of OO, a
method that is applied to a object
that is passed to. This method is dynamic in that it calls other methods
depending of the type of object passed.
So we are in the middle of the dynamic OO-programming.
If you wish it is a method that is overloaded.

Note to Hans, Wolfgang, et al: I realize that it is not implemented as above,
but it does reflect the basic concept,
                                                      to my knowledge and its
usage in ConTeXt.

Start/stop is a mechanism that is applied to an element, object, entity.
Depending on the Enity used with it the semantics
of the mechanism is different.

So it boils down to the fact what kind of audience you are addressing and what
level of knowledge  you expect them to have!

If you care to discuss this topic more in depth we can go off list.

regards
        Keith