On 2014-02-28 20:32, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 3/1/2014 12:45 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
% macros=mkvi

\setupwhitespace[small]

\def\ä<^>?z{Ä<^>?}

only letters can make a \cs (not symbols)

Clearly this is not currently the case, although I would agree that it should be. Is there any way to enforce it? The definition above processes cleanly on TL2013 and the current beta. The log file shows nothing.

And as I wrote in the first note, accepting non-letters (that is, other than the basic unaccented Aa--Zz) makes delimited parameter patterns difficult to use with Mark VI parameter names. Thus, we have the situation described in the following example, when in fact all should work without error (as I understand it, but perhaps \starttexdefinition has other limits of which I am not aware).

   % macros=mkvi

   % Fails to compile with TL2013 and current beta
   %\starttexdefinition Test #1¦#2.
   %  #1, #2!
   %\stopdefinition

   % Fails to compile with TL2013 and current beta
   %\starttexdefinition Test #PARAM¦#ETER.
   %  #PARAM, #ETER!
   %\stopdefinition

   % Works with TL2013 and processes with errors on current beta
   %\def\Test#PARAM¦#ETER.{#PARAM, #ETER!}

   % Works with TL2013 and current beta
   \def\Test#1¦#2.{#1, #2!}

   \starttext

   \Test No soap¦{radio}.

   \stoptext

Perhaps these are two different problems, but they smell the same to me.

Finally, assuming that I am correct that

   \starttexdefinition Test #PARAM¦#ETER.

 should work, should

   \starttexdefinition Test #PARAM ¦ #ETER .

work the same. That is, are spaces allowed for readability in the definition pattern, or are they significant?