In about.pdf on can see that U+21FE (rightarrowtriangle) is eligible
for use with \mathextensible.
When one look at the code for \mathextensible in "math-stc.mkvi", one
can see there is a mechanism of fallback.
So, since the character is implemented in "xits", there might be a way
to have "\mathextensible{"21FE} to work...

Chris